Here is a list that I came up with after a suggestion from Stu. This is a top 10 list of the most creative ways for killing a zombie. We have all seen guns, grenades, flamethrowers, shovels and what not but there are some utensils that have been used that were unique when it comes to zombie eradication. Now, I am sure there are several more unique methods out there that I am forgetting but I there are some of the ones that I personally came across that I found appealing.
- The Leg Gun from Planet Terror. This has always been one of my favorite methods of killing a zombie. Sure, guns have always been used to annihilate them but what better way then to shoot them with a leg gun!!!! It’s almost as perverse as the leg lamp from A Christmas Story. And, it’s not just a machine gun but it’s also a rocket launcher! I think everybody wanted one of those after the movie and later on in the film it becomes a Gatlin gun! What awesomeness!
- Lawnmower from Dead Alive. One of my favorite scenes in the whole movie next to the kung fu priest. It takes quick thinking to grab a lawnmower and mow down zombies and this movie shows all the best parts of it. Blood, slipping, sliding, and head trimming!!!! This scene was truly memorable and the goriest scene caught on camera. Honestly… if you had no guns or anything, what would you use? Would you really use a lawnmower?
- Records from Shaun of the Dead. This movie was a parody, but it also parodies methods of killing zombies. I thought it was hysterical that Shaun and Ed are sifting through records to throw at a zombie and when they finally do, all it does it get lodged in their heads… but if you throw them properly I am sure you can kill them. I don’t think I’ll ever look at vinyl’s the same way again.
- Chainsaw from Army of Darkness. This was an awesome ass scene!!!! Ash jumps in the air and grips/connects to the chainsaw in midflight and then in a stunning display of awesomeness he slices through the zombie woman!! Ash has always been a crowd pleaser when it comes to the horror genre and having this kill under his belt is like the little designs on the icing on the cake. Groovy.
- Big Daddy from Land of the Dead. Technically Big Daddy never meant to kill zombies but in the process of filling up Kaufman’s car with gas and then rolling a Molotov cocktail towards it he also kills a zombie Cholo. This just proves that even zombies have awesome ways to kill living people at the expense of their own. Plus, this sure was one of those elaborate killing scenes.
- Metal Rod from Slither. What happens when you mix Elizabeth Banks, a zombie and a metal rod? You get cinematic gold!!!! Starla is already one hot woman but don’t get on her bad side especially if you are of the undead. She’ll plant a metal rod in your throat and keeping pounding it into you until your head flies off! This was one of the best yet most awkward scenes in the whole movie because Starla doesn’t seem like the kind of person that would do something that extreme. In the immortal words of McReady… “Bitch is hardcore!”
- Zombie Arm from Dance of the Dead. I never thought that you could take a limb from a zombie and use it against them. I heard of tearing off somebody’s arm and beating them to death but Kyle Grubbin takes it to a whole new level when he tears a zombie’s arm off and shoves it down her throat! It looks like it hurts like hell and it puts zombies in their place… so instead of beating them up with it, orally shove it down their mouths.
- Helicopter from Dawn of the Dead (1978). This scene has always fascinated me because it was so random for a zombie to climb up on those boxes only to have the top of his head sliced off by the helicopter blades. It’s one of those unintentional deaths that I love so much. In a way, I kind of felt sorry for the zombie because he was just wondering around. Don’t let the name be confused with the awesome helicopter scene from Planet Terror, which was also a good way to kill zombies.
- Pickaxe from Return of the Living Dead. This was one of the funniest zombie attack moments that I have ever scene and it’s when the yellow, naked, bald cadaver attacks one of the workers and they have to hold him to the ground while they plant a pickaxe in the back of his head. It’s just so funny and a unique way of using a pickaxe. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.
- Tombstoning from Dance of the Dead. This was a rather quick shot of, again, Kyle taking a zombie, flipping him over and tombstoning him into the ground. You even heard the snap, crackle and popping of his neck breaking. I have never scene anybody do that before to a zombie but it works!!!!
So that is the list, if you have any suggestions, comments or complaints… pleases feel free to send them in! If I am forgetting a couple then I probably forgot the scene and or I have never seen the movie.
Category: Zombie Humor